Wednesday, April 11, 2007

You are never too young for ...

From the desk of Mama Piggy:

... a slipped disc.

Yep, I have been rendered somewhat non-ambulant due to a "partial" slipped disc. It happened out of the blue this morning. After my morning coffee, I sort of sprang up from the sofa to walk to the kitchen to wash up.
I didn't sense anything wrong while walking to the kitchen, although the back felt a bit stiff. It was only when I tried leaning my body forward while washing the mug when a piercing pain shot through my lower back.

To cut a long story short, I still went to the office to get some work cleared, saw a doctor, and was given two days' medical leave and some very strong painkillers and muscle relaxant.

Being healthy and illness-free is a blessing which many of us take for granted, until the moment we are rendered immobile or weak by sickness.


I wonder if cats suffer from slipped disc problems too?

9 comments:

CatDonna & Cats said...

Owww. That sounds painful!

Are painkillers sufficient for slipped discs, or will there be follow-up treatment?

Gosh. In any case, take care and rest well.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, be careful, pls do take good care, get back to your usual movement slowly and relax more, speedy recovery!

KXBC said...

The back is a very important part of the body. Let it heal properly before you move it about too much. Physio may help to strengthen your back muscles.

calsifer said...

Oh dear. Take care, Mama Piggy. We're going to wrap up "Therapy Frankie the kitten in a large strapping body" this weekend and despatch him over.

Kootoo | Muffin | Milo | Mama said...

Thanks all for your concern.

CatDonna, the doc said my condition is mild, and the disc might just "slip back" on its own. When? I dunno :| Otherwise, the painkillers are doing a great job knocking me out.

Calsifer - my nemesis!!! As if it's not bad enough with 3 kitties taking turns to settle on my tummy for a nap yesterday afternoon while I lay prone and immobilised! Does Frankie Boy do the chores??

calsifer said...

Chores? What be chores? Seriously, I suspect he skipped Home Econs class. But well, he sure will be a great help getting you to napland, going by these samples of his napfaces, eh? ;-D

kuro.shiro.neko said...

只有一句话 - 你老了, mama piggy!

Kootoo | Muffin | Milo | Mama said...

Hahaha ... KSN, indeed, age is catching up! so make the most out of your "youth" too ;P

cat_aunty said...

Take care, Mrs P!!